Know, first, who you are;
And then adorn yourself accordingly.
~ Epictetus

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Dolly style

 

There is a style similar to lolita called "dolly style", which focuses more on vintage and less on brand. I've found that I'm not too big on a lot of lolita brand dresses, there will always be only one or two JSKs or OPs I'll like from only a couple of brands at a time. Thank god, actually, because I'd be in debt and I only need one "special" dress per season, anyway.

(Pardon my naivety, just some thoughts): What I love about the dolly style is that it focuses more on creativity than relying so heavily on brand. It's still pretty lolita, but more.. mature? Classy? Street-appropriate? (According to my own tastes, anyway). It adds more thrill to the hunt as well; there's nothing more exhilarating than finding something that matches perfectly in a place you wouldn't expect--a chance encounter! I would definitely revolve a coord around a luxurious accessory than the other way around. I've always enjoyed sweet-classic, and the picture about hits pretty close to my ideal style; I'm completely in love with the white and ivory coordinate on the left, and the beautiful brown colors on the right. I would LOVE to be able to always dress that sophisticatedly.

...Maybe a little less on the layers, though. I don't know what it is about Japanese fashion, but they are obsessed with long, robe-like layers and accents that sometimes look great and sometimes look shoddy. I've seen cleverly thrown coordinates. I've seen atrocious ones. Overall, it's just too difficult of a style for me to wrap my head around. It seems like you'd have to have a LOT of random apparel in your closet.

Anyways, as appealing this dolly style is, I think for now I would only wear it if it applied to the lolita guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment